Monday, April 28, 2014

I have nothing to wear!


Pregnant or not, this is probably a typical statement of most women, no matter how full their closet is. Admittedly, my closet is very full but with my growing belly I have grown out of most of my clothes and can't wear them in the next couple of months. So I need clothes that grow with me. 

This post is about my pregnancy clothes shopping experiences here in the Philippines, the good and the bad. 

Being an average sized German, even without a baby belly, I am considerably taller than most Filipino women (and many men as well). Being taller, I am also wider, even if it doesn't show. So, buying certain clothes, like shorts and pants is always a challenge for me, pregnant or not.

I have grown out of my underwear, so a few weeks back I tried to hunt for bigger sizes. With very limited success. Since I will only be wearing the the pregnancy sized underwear for a limited time period, I don't want to buy expensive branded pieces, just cheap ones. The cheap ones though are made for the average Filipina with cup sizes rarely going beyond A and, what looks tiny to me, panties. I found two bras eventually but it was a several week long hunt. I am not looking forward to trying to find breastfeeding bras that fit me after Tisoy is born.

Same goes for panties. Happy to see cheap cotton panties size XL, I bought them right away without unpacking them and checking their actual size. At home I realized, they are even smaller than my German size M panties. Again no big ones to be found, at least no cheap ones. Out of desperation I ventured into the men's department, and now I am wearing size XXL boxer shorts. And yes, I even managed to buy boxer shorts that are waaaaay too small for me. 

There is one big, huge advantage though when it comes to clothes shopping during my pregnancy: I am living in a tropical country and it is summer time. Which means, the shops are full of cheap cute summer dresses made out of elastic materials that  grow with the belly. No need for specialized maternity clothes to keep me warm. So, this weekend I indulged into a dress shopping spree and bought 4 dresses to serve me until the end of my pregnancy. And since the material is elastic, I can wear them again next summer, no matter if I'll have a baby belly or not.

Ah, clothes shopping bliss, which was a nice contrast to my usual clothes shopping frustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment