Sunday, August 3, 2014

My birth experience: From unmedicated natural waterbirth to emergency c-section

I had a birth plan. I wanted a natural birth with as little intervention as possible. I was even aiming for a waterbirth. I wanted no IVs, intermittent fetal monitoring, no induction or enhancement, natural pain relief such as walking and changing positions, pushing when I feel the urge and my partner to be there to support me throughout the whole process. I prepared for weeks, I practiced breathing techniques, I visualized my perfect calm birth, watched hundreds of videos of natural births, I even tried hypnobirthing techniques and meditations. I discussed my birth plan with my OB and she was very much ok with it. I was so ready for my perfect calm, unmedicated natural birth and looking forward to welcoming Tisoy into this world.


Then I had my fetal anti-stress test, and it turned out the boy was stressed. Within minutes I was in the high risk labor room, hooked up to oxygen, a continuous fetal monitor, an IV and was not allowed to move, eat or drink. The complete opposite of what I had expected. To make things worse, the possibility of a c-section arose and my partner was still in Cebu. 

Hooked up to all these tubes I actually went into labor and to be honest I was devastated finding myself in that situation. Now I want to give big, big credit to my OB. She tried everything to make my birth possible as I had imagined it. She started to just observe and as much as possible kept the option of my desired waterbirth open: if Tisoy's heart rate remains stable, she would still be willing to go with it. For several hours I was still hopeful that I could have the natural birth I wanted.

However, it turned out that Tisoy did not even take the light contractions of early labor well. How much worse would he get if I start to have strong contractions in active labor? The risk to his health or even to his life was too high in the end, and he needed to get out via c-section as soon as possible. Again, I want to give big, big credit to my OB. Instead of getting Tisoy out immediately, she let us wait until my partner was here (meanwhile he was able to get on the next flight to Manila and was on his way). 

Soon after my partner arrived we discussed the situation and I was prepared for the surgery. My partner was allowed into the OP and even allowed to take pictures during the procedure. 

To be honest, I hated the c-section. While on the operating table, I told the team I cannot understand how anyone would choose to go through this instead of having a vaginal birth. 

In hindsight though, the c-section was the safest way for Tisoy to be born. It turned out he had a cord coil, and he may have been severely damaged or may not even have survived a vaginal birth. I now have a healthy and thriving little boy.




I want to say a big THANK YOU to Dra. Karen Ty-Torredes, my OB, Dra. Jocelyn Bondoc, Tisoy's pediatrician, and the whole team at St. Luke's Medical Center Global City for choosing what was best for Tisoy while at the same time trying to respect and follow my wishes and decisions as much as possible. Even though my birth was the complete opposite of what I had wanted for me and my baby, I felt I was part of the decision making process and together we came to the best solution for Tisoy. 

The rest of the hospital stay was also a very positive experience. Admittedly, I did not really enjoy it (who enjoys recovering from surgery?) but I felt well taken care of by the doctors, nurses, lactation nurse (she was a huge help in getting me started on breastfeeding), and all the other staff. Last but not least, even though for the first day I was only allowed liquids, and then a light, soft diet, the food was delicious (salmon and asparagus, anyone?). Even the broth of my first meal was yummy! 

St. Luke's was definitely the best choice for me to give birth at. I would go there again if I have another baby. 

[And for those who stumble upon this post on their research of prices at St. Luke's (I know I was very grateful of bloggers' posts when I was doing my research), the whole hospital stay, delivery, including doctors' fees, meds, and everything else, cost just below P170,000. Which surprised me because my research had shown that the cost for a c-section would be between P200-250k).]

1 comment:

  1. Wie schön, dass alles gut ausgegangen ist. Eine möglichst entspannte Säuglingszeit wünsche ich Euch!

    ReplyDelete