Monday, December 16, 2013

Meeting the inlaws


My boyfriend and I had planned to travel to his home town to meet his family for a long time. I was quite nervous about the visit because we definitely had not planned the "this is my girlfriend, and by the way she's pregnant"-introduction. For me, the worst-case scenario of being introduced. 

We first went to his grandmother's for one night. My boyfriend's granny received me with open arms and was very sweet to me. She actually asked him, if I was pregnant after a few hours, and he told her yes. Later I found out she is a trained midwife, so there was no way to fool her. It was not a big deal for her. 

Next we went to his grandfather's place. This is the place where his family comes from and most of his relatives still live there. There I met his father for the first time, who is a really cool, relaxed man, and now I know where my boyfriend has his calm and relaxed personality from. His relatives were all very friendly and sweet to me. We didn't tell anybody about my expectant status though.

Finally we went to his home town, and stayed in the house where he grew up in and his parents and one of his sisters with his nephews still live. His mom welcomed me with open arms and during my first lunch she was very interested in my family and me. 
Later at dinner my boyfriend dropped the bomb by telling his parents that they are going to have a white grandchild. His father asked what our plans are now, and his mom asked when we are getting married. But in the end, it seemed not such a big deal. In the next few days his mom gave me some pregnancy tips and two books about pregnancy and what we'll need for the baby. She repeatedly told my boyfriend to take good care of me, and move in with me so that he can care for me better. 
At one point, when we were alone, she confessed to me that she was very worried about her son when he decided to move to the big city, because she feared he may develop vices or not be able to make anything of his life. But now that she met me, she is not worried about him anymore. 

To me, this is the nicest compliment a mother-in-law-to-be can make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment