Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My first visit to the OB/GYN


Coming from Germany, where everything is double and triple-checked and proofed I had a very different first visit to my OB/GYN in the Philippines. 

This is how our visit went:

OB: What can I do for you?
Me: I'm pregnant, I guess...
OB: [Shouting out in joy] FINALLY! (as if we've been trying to become pregnant for years, when in fact only 5 months ago I told her we had no plans to have a baby anytime soon).
OB: When was the first day of your last menstruation?
Me: October 30
OB: Is your cycle regular?
ME: More or less.
OB: Did you do a pregnancy test?
ME: Two, and both came out positive.
OB: Then you're definitely pregnant. Congratulations!
I would expect a blood test or at least another urine test at this point to confirm the pregnancy - but no, that was it.
My estimated date of delivery was calculated (August 7), I was given my pregnancy book, prescribed folic acid and vitamins, advised to drink two glasses of milk a day, got an appointment for ultrasound next week and then I was dismissed.

I brought my boyfriend to the OB/GYN because I expected further questions about the health history of our families, any genetic abnormalities in our families, etc. as it is routine in my country. But nothing of that. 

I guess the Filipino attitude to dealing with pregnancy is: Relax, everything will be alright, and if not, we'll deal with it when we find out (i.e. the latest, when the baby is out). 

Whereas the German attitude is more of: We need to rule out all eventualities for abnormalities, problems, risks and potential illnesses, and then you may relax about having a healthy child. 
In fact, I just read, that in Germany 80% of all pregnancies are at first declared "high-risk-pregnancy" which entitles the mother to more visits to the OB/GYN or midwife, but some of them are downgraded to "normal" after a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment